Premix - how to guide
Stone Repair Mortar / Traditional Lime Repair Mortar & Traditional Lime Render Mix
With any render/stone repair the fill material must have the same or similar properties to the stonework surrounding it. It needs to have similar rates of expansion and contraction and, crucially, it must allow any trapped moisture to evaporate.
Our compound meets these requirements.
Once the perfect colour match has been established then you can order in 25kg bags either directly from us or from our many stockists up and down the country. All you need to do is add clean water as instructed.
The following 10 step programme will ensure a lasting repair:
- The edges of the area to be repaired should be the undercut to a minimum depth of 12mm to provide a lateral key. Do not finish to a ‘feathered edge’
- Repair depths of over 50mm can be reinforced with non-ferrous screws and wire, details of which must be determined by the site applicator or engineer. (See our Ancillaries page)
- Remove all dust, debris and dirt from the surface of the areas to be repaired.
- Mix the material with water, the exact amount must be determined on site to ensure adequate workability to fill avoiding air gaps but not so wet as to allow the material to slump.
- Saturate the cavity thoroughly with water to prevent premature drying out.
- Apply the material in layers no deeper than 12mm.
- Deeper repairs can be built up leaving 24 hours between coats on a scratched surface, which should be scratched, approximately to 4mm depth.
- The final coat can be finished with a wood float or sponge, not steel float. After initial drying the surface can be wiped with a slightly damp sponge to ‘texture’ the surface.
- Care should be taken to keep the repair damp, particularly in dry weather conditions, for a period of 48 hours.
- Repairs made with this product are subject to the skills and abilities of the operative, and these notes are offered as guidance only.
For further technical support please contact us.
Traditional Lime Mortar Mix / Stone Fixing Mix / Pointing Mix
Rowland’s products are especially formulated for strength, adhesion and durability. Once the perfect colour match has been established you can order in 25kg bags either directly from us or from our many stockists up and down the country. Once on site all you need to do is add clean water as instructed, mix to the consistency required and use as any other Mortar or fixing product.